Monday, January 19, 2009

You will surely be missed, Grandma Pat!


One week ago today, we received the sad news that Eric's Grandmother had passed away at age 87. While the news was difficult, we are reassured that her death ended the suffering she had endured as a result of at least 2 strokes over the past 3 years. I only knew Grandma Pat for about 8 years, and really only knew the Grandma Pat that everyone else knew for about 5 years. I now wish I had known her even better. What an amazing lady she was. I just found out last week that she was born in Canada and was part French Canadian. I wish I could go back in time and ask her more about her childhood. But I know from the stories that were told at her funeral that I will be able to learn more about her from her children and grandchildren.

The service was beautiful, just the way she would have wanted it, a beautiful Catholic mass with her favorite psalms and hymns. On the way to the cemetery, the ground was covered with a fresh blanket of snow and the sun was shining, even though the temperature was only in the single digits. During lunch her family members shared stories about her, many showing her sense of humor. I remember Grandma Pat always looking so beautiful and put together, which I think is rare for someone in her eighties.

I know her family will miss her dearly, especially her husband Roger and children.

Thank you, Grandma Pat, for making such a wonderful impression on me!

1 comment:

Courtney and the Boys said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Lucy...she sounds like a lovely lady. I'm sure you'll never stop learning about her. I still find myself learning things about my own parents from others!

Courtney